LEGAL MARRIAGE REQUIREMENTS
The following list of legal requirements are needed only for legal marriage.
The Sunscape Sabor Cozumel Wedding Coordinator must receive the following documents to begin the application for marriage in the Civil Registry Office.
- Tourist Card (You will receive these upon arrival at the airport)
- Bride & Groom Birth Certificates
- Valid Passports
- Blood tests must be taken in Mexico and must be taken no more than 14 days prior to the ceremony to be valid.
- The blood will be tested for HIV, STD's and blood type.
- A $300 USD fee + tax per couple will apply for the blood test.
- Four (4) witnesses
- A Legal Form must be completed with the names, addresses, nationalities, ages, occupations and relationship to Bride and Groom. The Wedding Coordinator will provide the couple with the form.
- The Marriage Certificate must be sent through a validation process in order to make it legal outside of Mexico. There is a $165 USD fee + tax charge to have the Marriage Certificate translated and may take up to 4 months. Once the document is apostilled and translated into English the Wedding Coordinator will send the document to the Bride and Groom's home address.
- NEW LEGAL REQUIREMENT - Special Certificate (CIR)
- Please send 2 months prior to the wedding scanned copies of the Bride and Groom's passports and birth certificates to request a NON marriage letter by Quintana Roo State.
- This letter certifies the couple does not have a previous marriage registered in the State of Quintana Roo.
- This Certification letter has an additional fee. Please check with the Wedding Coordinator for details.
- If someone is divorced, they must send a scanned copy of the Divorce Decree & Birth Certificate Apostil, so the resort can send it to be translated in Spanish by a certified translator in Mexico.
* If you are planning a symbolic ceremony you will simply need valid passports and to have arrive 3 business days in advance of the ceremony. Blood tests and additional paperwork will not be necessary. If you are planning a legal wedding to a Mexican citizen, additional requirements may be involved. Contact your wedding coordinator for more details. *
None of the above-mentioned services are included in any of the Sunscape Wedding Packages.